Living walls, Green walls, Bio Walls, Vertical Planting
General Overview Of Living Walls
Walls of green plants have been produced by nature for centuries- think of an ivy covered cottage or building. We are now able to recreate these sights indoors with unique designs by using modular panels of plants, planted in soil or a growing medium which then connect together and form a wall. Walls can be simple or complicated in structure, size and design like the amazing, multi award winning, 1900 square foot Living Wall at Jamieson Place here in Calgary.
Why Living walls?Whether you are trying to conserve energy (heat in winter and cool in summer), filter air particles and improve air quality or merely create a spectacular vision, a Living wall can do it all! You can have a simple palette of one type of plant and one colour of green or create an amazing design with the selection of plant types because of their unique leaf shapes, sizes, texture and colour.
Considerations for a Living Wall
- Proper structural support system
- Lightweight planting medium that will not deteriorate
- Irrigation and fertilization computerized system
- Maintenance provisions
- Plant choices based on lighting
- Maintenance Serviceability
- Surrounding Area
- Proper drainage
- Planting media
- Water Quality
- Water temperature and source
- illumination periods
- light quality
- moisture loss
An Award Winning Project!This project has been recognized by the following awards:
- PIA (Plantscape Industry Alliance) Award of Excellence, Winter Garden Installation, August 2010, San Diego, California
- PIA (Plantscape Industry Alliance) Award of Excellence, Living Wall Category, August 2010, San Diego, California
- PLANET (Professional Landcare Network) Grand Award, Winter Garden Installation, October 2010, Louisville, Kentucky
Whatever your choice or application, Greenery will be happy to consult with you, your Architect or Interior Designer to choose the right product to work in your space. With the success of the Jamieson Living Wall, Greenery has certainly become an authority on a variety of systems and we have been contacted by people all over the world to discuss the design and installation of Living Walls. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to consult on your project.